Artist's impression of Martin Place Station
Martin Place Station
Explore this page
Main station features
The station is integrated with the existing Martin Place Station and serves Sydney’s high-end commercial and financial district, the Macquarie Street precinct and the Pitt Street retail zone.
The new Martin Place Station will have two station entrances: a northern entrance opening to Castlereagh, Hunter and Elizabeth streets, and a southern entrance opening to Martin Place, Castlereagh and Elizabeth streets. Pedestrian connections will also link the new metro station with the existing T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line, and nearby bus services. An underground walkway will be provided from Martin Place to Hunter Street.
Public domain improvements, new shops, services, retail and dining will transform the station into a destination for Sydney-siders and visitors.
The station includes:
- new bike parking hoops on Castlereagh Street
- existing bus stops retained on Elizabeth and Castlereagh streets
- existing taxi ranks close to the station retained
- wayfinding signage and Sydney Metro information.
The station is located to the south of Hunter Street between Castlereagh and Elizabeth streets in Sydney’s CBD.
Access and entry
This is via a:
- northern entrance opening to Castlereagh, Hunter and Elizabeth streets
- southern entrance opening to Martin Place, Castlereagh and Elizabeth streets.
Planning and compliance
The Chatswood to Sydenham Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) covers the construction and operation of the Sydney Metro rail line from Chatswood to Sydenham.
The EIS was on public exhibition from 11 May to 27 June 2016 and received more than 300 submissions. The Minister for Planning approved the Chatswood to Sydenham EIS on 9 January 2017.
The latest information about planning modifications for Chatswood to Sydenham can be viewed on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website.
A Station Design and Precinct Plan (SDPP) has been prepared for Martin Place Station that shows how the new station design has developed and how it will integrate with the surrounding precinct.
Lendlease has been appointed to design and construct the new Sydney Metro Martin Place integrated station development which includes the new Martin Place Station, two new buildings above the station as well as new underground pedestrian connections and improvements to the public domain.
For more information see City & Southwest planning and compliance documentation or Martin Place Integrated Station Development (Lendlease) to find out more about our major contractors involved in the project.
If you are having difficulty locating a document, please contact the City & Southwest project at email@example.com or call our 24-hour community information line on 1800 171 386.
Indicative travel time (from 2024)
- 2 minutes to Barangaroo Station
- 4 minutes to Central Station
- 11 minutes to Chatswood Station.
Construction at Martin Place is split across three sites: Martin Place North, Martin Place South, and Bligh Street sites.
Construction includes building an underground platform-to-platform connection between the existing Martin Place Station and the Sydney Metro Martin Place Station. Construction is now underway to build the station and the over station developments.
Work at the station includes:
- building the station and over station development structures including formwork installation, reinforcement and concrete work
- façade installation for the station and over station developments
- internal fit-out of the station and over station developments
- public domain works including landscaping and footpaths.