Martin Place Station is an underground station, about 25 (north end) and 27 (south end) metres below ground level, located in the heart of Sydney’s CBD.
Main station features
The station is integrated with the original Martin Place Station and serves Sydney’s high-end commercial and financial district, the Macquarie Street precinct and the Pitt Street retail zone. The metro station provides efficient interchange in the CBD through convenient, direct connections to the T4 Eastern Suburbs and Illawarra Line platforms and integrates with the public domain and transport access improvements.
The station includes:
- New underground pedestrian link between the existing suburban and intercity Martin Place Station platforms and the metro station platforms
- New bike parking on Castlereagh Street at both station entries
- Existing bus stops retained on Elizabeth and Castlereagh streets
- Existing taxi ranks close to the station retained
- Wayfinding signage and Sydney Metro information.
Access and entry
- A northern pedestrian plaza opening to Castlereagh, Hunter and Elizabeth streets
- A southern pedestrian plaza opening to Martin Place and Castlereagh Street.
Underground pedestrian connections to 33 Bligh Street are being investigated in consultation with City of Sydney and local businesses.
The station is located to the south of Hunter Street between Castlereagh Street and Elizabeth streets in Sydney’s CBD.
Indicative travel time (from 2024):
- 4 minutes to Central Station
- 11 minutes to Chatswood Station.
Construction at Martin Place is split across two sites with temporary street-level working platforms over the excavation.
Construction activities include building an underground platform-to-platform connection between the existing Martin Place Station and the Sydney Metro Martin Place Station. This is mainly to be built by excavating new pedestrian tunnels from the Sydney Metro construction site.
Construction Notification - Martin Place - Extended work hours
PDF | 349.14 KB
Construction notification - Martin Place - Out of hours
PDF | 364.8 KB
Construction Notification - Martin Place - Monthly update
PDF | 371.18 KB
Construction Update - Martin Place - Out of hours
PDF | 361.24 KB
Construction Notification - Martin Place - Out of hours
PDF | 307.96 KB