Central Station is an underground station, about 16 metres below ground level, located within the existing Central Station precinct.
Main station features
The location of the metro station at Central facilitates a critical interchange, fully connecting the station with suburban, intercity and regional rail services, buses, coaches and light rail.
The station includes:
- Suburban and intercity train interchange via the existing northern concourse and underground paid pedestrian connections
- Existing kiss and ride, taxi ranks, bike parking and bus stops retained
- Services building (at the end of platforms 13 and 14)
- Platforms 13 and 14 are being reinstated as intercity platforms, and platform 15 possibly converted to a suburban platform
- Wayfinding signage and metro information.
Access and entry
Station access and entry is via:
- Existing northern station entry from Eddy Avenue and the main northern concourse
- Existing paid underground pedestrian connections within Central Station.
The station is located within the existing Central Station precinct below intercity rail service platforms 13, 14 and 15. Site access is via Eddy Avenue and Regent Street.
Indicative travel time (from 2024):
- 15 minutes to Chatswood Station
- 4 minutes to Sydney Metro’s Martin Place Station.
Construction of the new metro platforms at Central Station requires the area around the existing platforms 13, 14 and 15 and between the suburban and country lines to the south. This site incorporates the footprint of the future underground metro platforms. This site is currently part of the Central Station operational area.
Construction activities include:
- Building an access bridge from Regent Street into the rail corridor (Sydney Yard). This provides construction and operational maintenance access for both Sydney Metro and Sydney Trains
- Building a temporary pedestrian bridge
- Adjusting rail systems around platforms 13, 14 and 15
- Adjusting rail systems around platforms, the paid pedestrian connections and Devonshire Street tunnel.
Construction Notification - Central Station - Service location works
PDF | 355.26 KB
Construction Notification - Central Station - Utility investigations
PDF | 317.62 KB
Community Notification – Central – Out Of Hours
PDF | 335.95 KB
Project Update - Sydney Metro City & Southwest - Central Walk
PDF | 319.03 KB