Artist's impression Hunter Street Station entrance via George and Hunter street
Hunter Street Station
Explore this page
In the commercial heart of the Sydney CBD, Hunter Street Station will become a new hub with easy connections to George Street, Light Rail, Sydney Trains services at Wynyard and Martin Place and the new Sydney Metro City & Southwest station at Martin Place.
A large vibrant precinct between George, Hunter, O’Connell and Bligh streets will prioritise pedestrians and support a vibrant public domain in the heart of the Sydney CBD.
Hunter Street Station would be in the city’s commercial core, on the corner of Hunter and George streets and Bligh and O’Connell streets.
Access and entry
Station entrances are proposed to be located on Bligh, O’Connell and George streets.
Environmental Impact Statements for over station development at Hunter Street Station East and Hunter Street Station West are currently under assessment.
Station excavation and tunnelling
In November 2022, Sydney Metro awarded John Holland CPB Contractors Ghella Joint Venture (JCG) the contract to deliver 3.5 kilometres of metro rail tunnels under Sydney Harbour between The Bays and the Sydney CBD, as well as the excavation of Pyrmont and Hunter Street stations.
These works at Hunter Street include:
- site establishment and demolition – installing hoarding and tower cranes, demolishing buildings, and utility relocations
- excavating the new station cavern – using roadheaders and excavators with rock hammer attachments
- excavating a turnback station cavern to the east of the new Hunter Street Station, allowing trains to turn around before travelling back towards Westmead – using roadheaders and excavators with rock hammer attachments
- concrete lining the station cavern and turnback tunnels
- excavating the station shafts and associated tunnels
- removing excavated material via trucks
- excavating and lining cross passages in the tunnels and concreting works for tunnel inverts
Sydney International Speedway