Artist's impression of The Bays Station
The Bays Station
Explore this page
Main site features
The Bays Station will deliver rail to the area for the first time, providing critical connections to the Sydney CBD and the western suburbs. The Bays Station will act as a catalyst for the long awaited renewal of the area.
The Bays Station will be located between Glebe Island and White Bay Power Station. It will provide direct access to the future Bays Waterfront Promenade, which would run north to south along White Bay.
Access and entry
There will be one new station entrance to the south of White Bay, near the proposed future Bays Waterfront Promenade.
The Environmental Impact Statement for major civil construction between The Bays and Sydney CBD was approved in September 2022.
The Bays road relocation works
Sydney Metro completed road relocation works at The Bays, ensuring reliability of the road network ahead of future work to transform The Bays.
Rozelle/Iron Cove Power Supply Route
New underground cables from Rozelle substation to the future metro station at The Bays will provide a dedicated power supply to the Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) for Sydney Metro West. Underground cable installation work on the Iron Cove/Rozelle power supply was completed in August 2022 and once tunnelling is complete, the electricity will power part of Sydney Metro’s West Operations.
These works include:
- non-intrusive survey work
- establishing traffic controls and construction areas
- removing concrete and asphalt with road saw
- excavating trenches and removing excavated material
- installing conduits to hold the new cables
- installing concrete pits
- backfilling and reinstating the excavated area.
Station excavation and tunnelling
Central Tunnelling Package
In July 2021, Sydney Metro awarded Acciona Construction Australia Pty Ltd and Ferrovial Construction (Australia) Pty Ltd Joint Venture the contract to deliver 11 kilometres of twin metro rail tunnels between Sydney Olympic Park and The Bays.
At The Bays these works include:
- site establishment and demolition – installing hoarding, demolishing buildings, protecting and/or relocating utilities, transport network modifications, conducting investigations, installing staff facilities and services to the construction site, installing piles and initial excavation
- excavating the station box – to a depth of 30 metres (approximately 10 storeys)
- launching two tunnel boring machines from the excavated station box
- providing tunnelling support – storage of excavated material, ventilation, grout batching and water treatment
- removing excavated material – via trucks.
Eastern Tunnelling Package
In November 2022, Sydney Metro awarded John Holland CPB Contractors Ghella Joint Venture (JCG) the contract to deliver 3.5 kilometres of metro rail tunnels under Sydney Harbour between The Bays and the Sydney CBD, as well as the excavation of Pyrmont and Hunter Street stations.
These works at The Bays include:
- site establishment – installing fencing and acoustic sheds, protecting utilities, installing staff facilities and services to the construction site, concreting works, installing tunnelling infrastructure and equipment
- launching two tunnel boring machines from the existing excavated station box and tunnelling to Hunter Street
- providing tunnelling support – storage of excavated material, ventilation, grout batching, slurry treatment to separate the water from the excavated material, water treatment
- removing excavated material via trucks
- excavating and lining cross passages in the tunnels and concreting works for the tunnel inverts between The Bays and Pyrmont
- demobilising tunnelling infrastructure on Project completion
Five Dock Station