Planning and Compliance
Sydney Metro City & Southwest is subject to an environmental assessment under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act). The project is classified as Critical State Significant Infrastructure under Part 5 division 5.2 (formally Part 5.1) of the EP&A Act.
Chatswood to Sydenham planning approval
The Chatswood to Sydenham Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) covers the construction and operation of the Sydney Metro rail line from Chatswood to Sydenham. This 16.5 kilometre section of the rail line almost entirely comprises of underground rail tunnels - including beneath Sydney Harbour - and new stations at Crows Nest, Victoria Cross, Barangaroo, Martin Place, Pitt Street, Waterloo, and new underground platforms at Central.
The EIS was on public exhibition from 11 May to 27 June 2016 and received more than 300 submissions. Sydney Metro collated the responses and released a Submissions and Preferred Infrastructure Report (available in the Document Library). This report included a number of key changes made as a result of the feedback. The Minister for Planning approved the Chatswood to Sydenham EIS on 9 January 2017.
Sydenham to Bankstown planning approval
The Submissions and Preferred Infrastructure Report for the Sydenham to Bankstown Metro upgrade was on exhibition until 18 July 2018.
You can view a summary of the project in the Sydenham to Bankstown Preferred Infrastructure Report Overview.
The Submissions and Preferred Infrastructure Report for Sydenham to Bankstown metro upgrade and accompanying documents may be viewed on the NSW Department of Planning and Environment website and sydneymetro.info/documents.
Sydney Metro’s compliance with planning approvals is typically produced in the form of management plans, impact statements, monitoring reports and specialist consultant reports.
Some of these documents required under the Ministers Conditions of Approval include:
- Staging Report
- Compliance Tracking Program / Environmental Audit Program
- Construction Compliance Reports (CCRs)
- Overarching Community Communication Strategy
- Out Of Hours Protocol
- Sydney Metro Heritage Interpretation Plan
All other Sydney Metro City & Southwest compliance documentation is accessible from the document library and the projects contractor websites:
- Demolition contractor (Metropolitan)
- Demolition contractor Delta Group
- Sydney Yard Access Bridge contractor (Laing O’Rourke)
- Tunnel and Station Excavation (TSE) contractor (John Holland CPB Ghella)
- Sydenham Metro upgrade (John Holland Laing O’Rourke)
- Northern Corridor Works (Portion 7) contractor (Laing O’Rourke)
- Central Station Main Works (Laing O'Rourke)