About Sydney Metro West
The Sydney Metro West project will support a growing city and deliver world-class metro services to more communities.
This new underground railway will connect Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
This once-in-a-century infrastructure investment will transform Sydney for generations to come, doubling rail capacity between the two CBDs, linking new communities to rail services and supporting employment growth and housing supply. The project is expected to create about 10,000 direct and 70,000 indirect jobs during construction.
The locations of seven metro stations have been confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays. Further planning is underway to determine the location of the Sydney CBD station and Pyrmont station.
Sydney Metro West features
- Faster, more frequent access to major employment and education centres like Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park and The Bays
- A new metro station at Westmead – one of Australia’s largest health and education precincts
- Delivering new rail services for the first time at Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays and Pyrmont
- A new metro station at Sydney Olympic Park – Sydney’s sporting and entertainment super-precinct
- A new metro station at Pyrmont – delivering major benefits to the Pyrmont community and supporting plans to transform the harbourside suburb
- Integrated with the rest of Sydney’s public transport system
- Fully accessible with lifts and level access between trains and platforms
- Next generation fully air-conditioned metro trains
- All Sydney Metro infrastructure like the stations, trains and railway tracks are owned by the NSW Government
- Sydney Metro uses Opal ticketing and fares are set by the NSW Government.
Interactive project information
Sydney Metro is making project information as easy to access as possible. We want to connect with you so you can find out what you need to know and learn more about the project.
The Sydney Metro West interactive portal provides area specific information to help you navigate the project in an easy to use and intuitive way. The portal includes information to support your understanding of the planning process and videos from our team of project experts.
The planning process
Work started on Sydney Metro West in 2020 and now planning approval has been granted for the Sydney Metro West project concept between Westmead and the Sydney CBD and for major construction work between Westmead and The Bays by the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.
This approval is the next huge milestone for the project following work starting at The Bays Station site. It means work can now begin to prepare for tunnels and station excavation between Westmead and The Bays.
The Environmental Impact Statement was on public exhibition between 30 April and 26 June 2020. Submissions received from stakeholders and the community have been considered in the assessment of the project.
Planning for the project continues
Future project approvals will consider major civil construction work including station excavation and tunnelling between The Bays and Sydney CBD including Pyrmont; and all stations, depots and rail systems between Westmead and the Sydney CBD Station. We’ll also plan for the areas surrounding the stations including placemaking and any integrated station or precinct developments in some locations.
The community will be able to learn more and have their say at each stage of the planning process.