About Sydney Metro West
The Sydney Metro West project will support a growing city and deliver world-class metro services to more communities.
This new underground railway will connect Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
This once-in-a-century infrastructure investment will transform Sydney for generations to come, doubling rail capacity between the two CBDs, linking new communities to rail services and supporting employment growth and housing supply. The project is expected to create about 10,000 direct and 70,000 indirect jobs during construction.
The locations of seven proposed metro stations have been confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays. Further planning and design work is underway to determine the location of a new metro station in the Sydney CBD.
Following extensive community and stakeholder engagement, planning for a potential metro station at Pyrmont will progress to the next stage of assessment. Sydney Metro will continue to work closely with Government stakeholders to ensure that any plans for Pyrmont are consistent with the planning work being undertaken to revitalise the Pyrmont Peninsula, including the Western Harbour precinct, into the next jobs hub and economic driver of Sydney.
A potential station at Rydalmere will not proceed, given its distance from the proposed railway alignment and the additional time it would add to the journey between Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
Sydney Metro West features
- Faster, more frequent access to major employment and education centres like Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park and The Bays
- A new metro station at Westmead – one of Australia’s largest health and education precincts
- Delivering new rail services for the first time at Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays
- A new metro station at Sydney Olympic Park – Sydney’s sporting and entertainment super-precinct
- Integrated with the rest of Sydney’s public transport system
- Fully accessible with lifts and level access between trains and platforms
- Next generation fully air-conditioned metro trains
- All Sydney Metro infrastructure like the stations, trains and railway tracks are owned by the NSW Government
- Sydney Metro uses Opal ticketing and fares are set by the NSW Government.
Interactive project information
Sydney Metro is making project information as easy to access as possible. We want to connect with you so you can find out what you need to know, learn more about the project and have your say.
The Sydney Metro West interactive portal provides area specific information to help you navigate the project in an easy to use and intuitive way. The portal includes all current planning documents on exhibition, information to support your understanding of the planning process and videos from our team of project experts.
Have your say
A number of planning documents to support the delivery of Sydney Metro West are currently on exhibition and the community is invited to have a say. These include:
- The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for Sydney Metro West - Westmead to The Bays and Sydney CBD, and the proposed project corridor between Westmead and The Bays
To learn more about the Sydney Metro West EIS, read our summary booklet
To read the EIS learn about the project corridor, or make a submission, please visit the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s website here.
- The Review of Environmental Factors (REF) for The Bays Road Relocation Works
If you would like more information on the EIS or the REF to share with your group or organisation please email firstname.lastname@example.org