About Sydney Metro West
New metro rail will connect Greater Parramatta with the Sydney CBD.
This once-in-a-century infrastructure investment will double the rail capacity of the Parramatta to Sydney CBD corridor with a travel time target between the two centres of about 20 minutes.
Sydney Metro West will support well-connected and vibrant places that re-imagine Western Sydney and reduce the traditional reliance on long–haul, peak-hour-only commutes to and from major employment centres.
Metro services are already connecting people between the City’s North West and Chatswood, and in 2024 metro will extend under Sydney Harbour, through to new stations in the CBD, and beyond to Bankstown in the south-west.
In November 2016, the NSW Government announced the Sydney Metro West project – the city’s next underground railway. Sydney Metro is planning to deliver about 24 kilometres of underground rail between Westmead and the Sydney CBD.
Sydney Metro West features
- Faster, more frequent access to major employment and education centres like Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park and The Bays
- A new metro station at Westmead – one of Australia’s largest health and education precincts
- Delivering new rail services for the first time at Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays
- A new metro station at Sydney Olympic Park – Sydney’s sporting and entertainment super-precinct
- Integrated with the rest of Sydney’s public transport system
- Fully accessible with lifts and level access between trains and platforms
- Next generation fully air-conditioned metro trains
- All Sydney Metro infrastructure like the stations, trains and railway tracks are owned by the NSW Government
- Sydney Metro uses Opal ticketing and fares are set by the NSW Government.
Sydney Metro West stations
Since 2016, Sydney Metro has been working with local communities, stakeholders and industry to create a project that will deliver fast, safe and reliable metro rail while providing the most benefits to local communities. Sydney Metro West is made up of new metro stations at:
- Sydney Olympic Park
- North Strathfield
- Burwood North
- Five Dock
- The Bays Precinct
- Sydney CBD
Further planning and design work is underway to determine the location of a new metro station in the Sydney CBD.
Strategic station options
Sydney Metro sought feedback from community and stakeholders on strategic station options at Pyrmont and Rydalmere.
The ability to extend Sydney Metro West, including beyond Westmead will be future-proofed.