About Sydney Metro West
The Sydney Metro West project will support a growing city and deliver world-class metro services to more communities.
This new underground railway will connect Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
This once-in-a-century infrastructure investment will transform Sydney for generations to come, doubling rail capacity between the two CBDs, linking new communities to rail services and supporting employment growth and housing supply. The project is expected to create about 10,000 direct and 70,000 indirect jobs during construction.
Sydney Metro West is a new 24-kilometre metro line with stations confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays, Pyrmont and Hunter Street in the Sydney CBD.
Construction started on Sydney Metro West in 2020.
Sydney Metro West features
- Faster, more frequent access to major employment and education centres like Parramatta and Sydney Olympic Park
- A new metro station in the heart of the Sydney CBD commercial centre, connecting directly to Sydney’s established and growing employment precincts.
- A new metro station at Westmead – one of Australia’s largest health and education precincts
- Delivering new rail services for the first time at Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays and Pyrmont
- A new metro station at Sydney Olympic Park – Sydney’s sporting and entertainment super-precinct
- A new metro station at Pyrmont – delivering major benefits to the Pyrmont community and supporting plans to transform this harbourside suburb
- Integrated with the rest of Sydney’s public transport system
- Fully accessible with lifts and level access between trains and platforms
- Next generation fully air-conditioned metro trains
- All Sydney Metro infrastructure like the stations, trains and railway tracks are owned by the NSW Government
- Sydney Metro uses Opal ticketing and fares are set by the NSW Government.
Interactive project information
Sydney Metro is making project information as easy to access as possible. We want to connect with you so you can find out what you need to know and learn more about the project.
The Sydney Metro West interactive portal provides area specific information to help you navigate the project in an easy to use and intuitive way. The portal includes information to support your understanding of the planning process and videos from our team of project experts.
The planning process
The Department of Planning, Industry and Environment granted planning approval for the Sydney Metro West project concept between Westmead and the Sydney CBD and for major construction work between Westmead and The Bays. Approval was granted following public exhibition of the Environmental Impact Statement in 2020. Submissions received from stakeholders and the community were considered in the assessment of the project. The approval means work can begin to prepare for tunnels and station excavation between Westmead and The Bays.
Planning for the project continues
A Scoping Report for major civil construction work including station excavation and tunnelling between The Bays and Sydney CBD has now been submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE).
This report provides information on the proposed tunnel corridor, further proposed works, community consultation undertaken and the next steps in preparing a detailed Environmental Impact Statement, which is expected to be exhibited for community feedback later this year.
Future project approvals will consider all stations, depots and rail systems between Westmead and the Sydney CBD Station.
The community will be able to learn more and have their say at each stage of the planning process.