Artist's impression of Sydney Olympic Park metro station
About Sydney Metro West
The Sydney Metro West project will support a growing city and deliver world-class metro services to more communities.
This new underground railway will connect Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
This once-in-a-century infrastructure investment will transform Sydney for generations to come, doubling rail capacity between the two CBDs, linking new communities to rail services and supporting employment growth and housing supply. The project is expected to create about 10,000 direct and 70,000 indirect jobs during construction.
Sydney Metro West is a new 24-kilometre metro line with stations confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays, Pyrmont and Hunter Street in the Sydney CBD.
Construction started on Sydney Metro West in 2020.
Sydney Metro West features
- Faster, more frequent access to major employment and education centres like Parramatta and Sydney Olympic Park.
- A new metro station in the heart of the Sydney CBD commercial centre, connecting directly to Sydney’s established and growing employment precincts.
- A new metro station at Westmead – one of Australia’s largest health and education precincts.
- Delivering new rail services for the first time at Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays and Pyrmont.
- A new metro station at Sydney Olympic Park – Sydney’s sporting and entertainment super-precinct.
- A new metro station at Pyrmont – delivering major benefits to the Pyrmont community and supporting plans to transform this harbourside suburb.
- Integrated with the rest of Sydney’s public transport system.
- Fully accessible with lifts and level access between trains and platforms.
- Next generation fully air-conditioned metro trains.
- All Sydney Metro infrastructure like the stations, trains and railway tracks are owned by the NSW Government.
- Sydney Metro uses Opal ticketing and fares are set by the NSW Government.
Interactive project information
Sydney Metro is making project information as easy to access as possible. We want to connect with you so you can find out what you need to know and learn more about the project.
The Sydney Metro West interactive portal provides area-specific information to help you navigate the project in an easy-to-use and intuitive way. The portal includes information to support your understanding of the planning process and videos from our team of project experts.
The planning process
In 2020, work started at The Bays on this city shaping project to allow tunnel boring machines to be in the ground before the end of 2022. In March 2021, the project received its first major planning approval for the Project Concept between Westmead and the Sydney CBD and station excavation and tunnelling between Westmead and The Bays.
Two further planning applications were submitted to the Department of Planning and Environment in 2021 and 2022 and are currently under assessment.
These applications are for major civil construction between The Bays and Sydney CBD, including station excavation and tunnelling (2021), and Rail infrastructure, stations, precincts and operations between Westmead and the Sydney CBD (2022).
Sydney Metro has also commenced planning for over and adjacent station development at Parramatta and Sydney Olympic Park by lodging Scoping Reports for each site with the Department of Planning and Environment.
The community will be able to learn more and have their say at each stage of the planning process.