About Sydney Metro West
Sydney Metro is the biggest urban rail project in Australian history, transforming how we get around the nation’s biggest city.
The Sydney Metro West project is Sydney’s next big railway infrastructure investment.
It will deliver a direct connection between the CBDs of Parramatta and Sydney, linking communities along the way that have not been previously serviced by rail and unlocking housing supply and employment growth between the two major CBDs.
New metro rail will become the fastest, easiest and most reliable journey between the Sydney and Parramatta CBDs.
This means Sydney Trains and inter-city services will be freed up for customers in the city’s outer west in areas like Blacktown, Penrith and the Blue Mountains. In turn, these services will become more reliable, with increased capacity, reduced crowding and faster travel times.
As a new railway, Sydney Metro West will work together with the existing T1 Western Line, effectively doubling rail capacity from Parramatta to the CBD and supporting the Greater Sydney Commission’s vision for better connections between these two major centres.
The NSW Government will integrate transport and land use planning along the corridor, with the project will be delivered as an underground metro railway line.
Community, stakeholder and industry consultation will now help shape Sydney Metro West’s development, including the alignment and potential station locations.
Servicing key precincts
The final number of potential stations will be identified following community and industry consultation. Four key precincts to be serviced have initially been identified at:
- Parramatta, where the number of jobs is expected to double over the next 20 years to 100,000
- Sydney Olympic Park, where 34,000 jobs and more than 23,000 residents will be located by 2030
- The Bays Precinct, Sydney’s new innovation hub where 95 hectares of land is being regenerated
- The Sydney CBD, allowing easy access to the existing public transport network and Stages 1 and 2 of Sydney Metro, which is currently under construction.
The need for new rail
More mass transit services are needed between Parramatta and the Sydney CBD because:
- an extra 420,000 people are expected to move into the corridor between Greater Parramatta and central Sydney over the next 20 years
- more than 300,000 new jobs will be created by 2036 in the corridor between Greater Parramatta and central Sydney at places like the Parramatta CBD, Sydney Olympic Park and the Bays Precinct
- the T1 Western Line needs relief because it will be severely overcrowded by the early 2030s.
How can I get involved?
We want to be innovative in delivering this new railway. Community consultation has been a hallmark of Sydney Metro.
The public consultation period has now ended for the early investigation phase.
For more information contact us via:
- Phone: 1800 612 173 Sydney Metro West community information line
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Sydney Metro West, PO Box K659 Haymarket NSW 1240
If you need an interpreter, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call 1800 612 173
To stay informed about next steps please register for project update using the form below.