About Sydney Metro West
The Sydney Metro West project will support a growing city and deliver world-class metro services to more communities.
This new underground railway will connect Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD.
This once-in-a-century infrastructure investment will transform Sydney for generations to come, doubling rail capacity between the two CBDs, linking new communities to rail services and supporting employment growth and housing supply. The project is expected to create about 10,000 direct and 70,000 indirect jobs during construction.
The locations of seven proposed metro stations have been confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays. Further planning and design work is underway to determine the location of a new metro station in the Sydney CBD. The NSW Government is also continuing to investigate the feasibility of building a metro station in Pyrmont.
Sydney Metro West features
- Faster, more frequent access to major employment and education centres like Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park and The Bays
- A new metro station at Westmead – one of Australia’s largest health and education precincts
- Delivering new rail services for the first time at Burwood North, Five Dock and The Bays
- A new metro station at Sydney Olympic Park – Sydney’s sporting and entertainment super-precinct
- Integrated with the rest of Sydney’s public transport system
- Fully accessible with lifts and level access between trains and platforms
- Next generation fully air-conditioned metro trains
- All Sydney Metro infrastructure like the stations, trains and railway tracks are owned by the NSW Government
- Sydney Metro uses Opal ticketing and fares are set by the NSW Government.
Interactive project information
Sydney Metro is making project information as easy to access as possible. We want to connect with you so you can find out what you need to know and learn more about the project.
The Sydney Metro West interactive portal provides area specific information to help you navigate the project in an easy to use and intuitive way. The portal includes information to support your understanding of the planning process and videos from our team of project experts.
The planning process
The environmental assessment process for Sydney Metro West is being done in stages in recognition of the size of the project.
The first Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) seeks approval for the Sydney Metro West Project Concept from Westmead to the Sydney CBD and station excavation and tunnelling between Westmead and The Bays.
This EIS was open for public comment between 30 April and 26 June 2020. To learn more, read our summary booklet.
Over an eight week period the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) received 188 submissions on the EIS. Sydney Metro has reviewed the submissions and prepared a Submissions Report to respond to issues raised. Sydney Metro has also prepared an Amendment Report which outlines proposed amendments to the project since the exhibition of the EIS. The Submissions Report and the Amendment Report have been submitted to DPIE for their consideration in the assessment of the EIS.
To view the proposed amendments and read the Submissions and Amendment Reports, visit the Sydney Metro West interactive portal.
Future project approvals will consider all stations, depots and rail systems between Westmead and The Bays and all major civil construction works including station excavation, tunnels, stations, depots and rail systems between The Bays and the Sydney CBD Station.
The community will be able to learn more and have their say at each stage of the planning process.