Our approach to sustainability
Sydney Metro is committed to building and operating a sustainable transport system that delivers on our environment and social responsibilities.
Sustainability at Sydney Metro means planning, building and operating a metro system for current and future generations that optimises environmental, social and economic outcomes. This includes:
- developing effective and appropriate responses to the key challenges of today and tomorrow such as climate resilience, energy security, land use, liveability, employment, diversity and inclusion
- being environmentally responsible by mitigating or reducing pollution and emissions, demonstrating stewardship towards the natural environment and reducing our ecological footprint, while complying with all applicable environmental laws, regulations and statutory obligations
- being socially responsible by working towards improving liveability and accessibility in the Greater Sydney region
- delivering a workforce and skills legacy which benefits individuals, communities, our projects and industry, and is achieved through collaboration and partnerships.
Sydney Metro’s approach to sustainability is governed by the Sydney Metro Environment and Sustainability Statement of Commitment, which outlines our commitment to:
- climate resilience, carbon and energy management, including offsetting 100 percent of our operational electricity
- resource efficiency (water, energy, waste, spoil and materials)
- biodiversity conservation and heritage
- liveability and community benefits
- supply chain management, both environmentally and socially
- workforce development and industry participation
- whole-of-life cost benefits.
The Sydney Metro Sustainability Framework provides a further level of detail outlining our approach to delivering sustainable outcomes across the business. The Framework:
- establishes six guiding principles which set the direction for how we approach sustainability
- identifies key initiatives which we will undertake that support the successful achievement of sustainable outcomes
- demonstrates how Sydney Metro is responding to broader sustainability drivers.
The Sydney Metro sustainability reports (2017, 2018, 2020) provide a detailed account of our approach to sustainability and performance on projects including how environmental and social considerations are embedded in all aspects of our projects and integrated into the design, procurement, delivery and operations processes.
For each project we develop a strategy or plan which details how we are optimising the environmental and social response specific to that project and its surroundings. The current strategies and plans are:
Western Sydney Airport line planning and compliance
Workforce development and industry participation