All Sydney Metro operations are controlled and monitored from the Sydney Metro Trains Facility (SMTF) in Rouse Hill, which was built as part of Sydney Metro Northwest, along with maintenance and stabling.
About the expansion work
Planning approval was provided in January 2014 for the SMTF to be built in stages. The first stage was completed in May 2019 to align with the opening of Sydney Metro Northwest, providing capacity for 22 metro trains.
The second stage of work will involve expanding the facility to accommodate an additional 37 metro trains, to meet the operational and maintenance requirements of Sydney Metro City & Southwest.
Main site features
Expansion activities on the site will include:
- Installing new rail tracks, rail systems, lifting beams and access platforms
- Building and fitting out maintenance sheds, building new access roads
- Expanding the existing maintenance building, fitting out sheds and rooms
- Installing overhead wiring and a new gantry crane
- Modifying some existing roads.
The SMTF is located west of Tallawong Station, at the corner of Tallawong Road and Schofields Road. The expansion work will take place inside the existing SMTF site.
Notification - Trains Facility expansion - February
PDF | 537.63 KB
Notification - Trains Facility expansion - January 2020
PDF | 267.74 KB
Biannual newsletter - Trains Facility expansion - December 2019
PDF | 3.61 MB
Construction Notification - SMTF Expansion - August 2019
PDF | 209.64 KB