Sydney Metro Trains Facility at Rouse Hill
Trains Facility expansion
Explore this page
All Sydney Metro operations are controlled and monitored from the Sydney Metro Trains Facility (SMTF) in Rouse Hill, which was built as part of Metro North West Line. SMTF also provides maintenance and stabling.
Main site features
Expansion activities on the site include:
- installing new rail tracks, rail systems, lifting beams and access platforms
- building and fitting out maintenance sheds, building new access roads
- expanding the existing maintenance building, fitting out sheds and rooms
- installing overhead wiring and a new gantry crane
- modifying some existing roads.
About the expansion work
Planning approved was provided in January 2014 for the SMTF to be built in stages. The first stage was completed in May 2019 to align with the opening of Sydney Metro Northwest, providing capacity for 22 metro trains.
The second stage of work will involve expanding the facility to accommodate additional trains, to meet the operational and maintenance requirements of Sydney Metro City & Southwest.
The SMTF is located west of Tallawong Station, at the corner of Tallawong and Schofields roads. The expansion work is taking place inside the existing SMTF site.
Sydenham to Bankstown substations
Marrickville Dive Site and Trains Facility South