Artist's impression of Pitt Street Station entrance
Explore this page
Main station features
Gadigal Station is strategically located at the junction of Sydney’s southern CBD and the Midtown retail precinct, close to mixed employment, residential, entertainment, cultural and events-based activities within the southern Sydney CBD and Chinatown.
The metro station serves the retail areas on George and Pitt streets, the civic and entertainment uses on George Street and the emerging southern Sydney CBD residential developments between Park Street and Belmore Park. The station also provides relief to Town Hall Station, and allows interchange onto other modes of public transport including light rail and buses.
The station includes:
- new bike parking on Park and Bathurst streets
- existing bus stops close to the station retained on Park and Castlereagh streets
- existing taxi bays close to the station retained on Castlereagh and Pitt streets
- wayfinding signage and metro information to be provided
- enhancement of pedestrian infrastructure around the station to be refined in consultation with Transport for NSW and City of Sydney Council.
The station is located below Pitt and Castlereagh streets, south of the Park Street intersection and north of the Bathurst Street intersection.
Access and entry:
This is via a:
- northern pedestrian plaza opening to Pitt and Park streets
- southern pedestrian plaza opening to Bathurst Street.
Planning and compliance
The Chatswood to Sydenham Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) covers the construction and operation of the Sydney Metro rail line from Chatswood to Sydenham.
The EIS was on public exhibition from 11 May to 27 June 2016 and received more than 300 submissions. The Minister for Planning approved the Chatswood to Sydenham EIS on 9 January 2017.
A Station Design and Precinct Plan (SDPP) has been prepared for Gadigal Station which shows how the new station design has developed and how it will integrate with the surrounding precinct.
Community consultation was carried out in October 2020 and feedback received helped inform the final SDPP that was submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment and approved in October 2021.
CPB Contractors is delivering the Sydney Metro Pitt Street Integrated Station Development which includes a 250-metre long underground station between Pitt and Castlereagh Streets, with entrances on Park and Bathurst Streets. The two station entries will be connected with retail and other commercial facilities.
For more information see City & Southwest planning and compliance documentation or Pitt Street Integrated Station Developmentto find out more about our major contractors involved in the project.
If you are having difficulty locating a document, please contact the City & Southwest project at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our 24-hour community information line on 1800 171 386.
Indicative travel time (from 2024)
- 2 minutes to Central Station
- 4 minutes to Barangaroo Station
- 7 minutes to Victoria Cross Station.
The Tunnel and Station Excavation contractor completed tunnelling and excavation work at Gadigal Station in late 2020. Construction is now underway to build the station and the over station developments.
Work at the station includes:
- detailed excavation at the base of station shafts
- building the station and over station development structures including formwork installation, reinforcement and concrete works
- façade installation for the station and over station developments
- internal fit-out of the station and over station developments
- public domain works including landscaping and footpaths.
Martin Place Station
Surry Hills to Central power upgrade