Marrickville Dive Site and Trains Facility South
About the Marrickville dive site
Marrickville dive site was established to manufacture pre-cast concrete tunnel lining segments and to support the:
- operation of two tunnel boring machines
- construction of 30 cross passages between the running tunnels from Marrickville to Barangaroo
- construction of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility South
- fit-out of the tunnel rail system.
Work associated with launching and operating two TBMs has now been completed.
About Sydney Metro Trains Facility South
Sydney Metro operations are controlled and monitored from the Sydney Metro Trains Facility (SMTF) in Rouse Hill, which was built as part of Sydney Metro Northwest. Train maintenance and stabling also occurs at this location. The SMTF is being expanded as part of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project, to accommodate the growing fleet of driverless trains.
Stabling for Sydney Metro City & Southwest will also occur at the Sydney Metro Trains Facility South (SMTFS), a smaller supplementary facility at Marrickville. It will provide for overnight stabling of Sydney Metro trains and light maintenance activities to minimise the requirement to send trains to the Sydney Metro Trains Facility at Rouse Hill.
Construction of the SMTFS began in May 2021.
Main site features
Activities on the site include:
- building and operating a substation to supply power for the running of metro trains
- establishing a permanent water treatment plant to capture and treat water collected from the stations
- building a facility that will provide for overnight stabling of Sydney Metro trains and light maintenance activities
- delivering materials and equipment, including rail steel, track laying machines, power cables and more, to be used for the fit out of the excavated tunnels.
Dive structures and tunnel portals
Two dive structures and tunnel portals were built, one at Chatswood and another at Marrickville. These sites, along with the Barangaroo Station site, formed the TBM launch sites and provided support for tunnelling operations.
The site is located north of Sydenham Station and south of Bedwin Road, bordered by Edinburgh and Sydney Steel roads, Murray Street and the rail corridor. The Marrickville tunnel portal is west of the T3 Bankstown Line in Marrickville (to the north of Sydenham Station).
Trains Facility expansion