Artist's impression of Pitt Street Station entrance
Pitt Street Station
Explore this page
Main station features
Pitt Street Station is strategically located at the junction of Sydney’s southern CBD and the Midtown retail precinct, close to mixed employment, residential, entertainment, cultural and events-based activities within the southern Sydney CBD and Chinatown.
The metro station at Pitt Street serves the retail areas on George and Pitt streets, the civic and entertainment uses on George Street and the emerging southern Sydney CBD residential developments between Park Street and Belmore Park. The station also provides relief to Town Hall Station, and allows interchange onto other modes of public transport including light rail and buses.
The station includes:
- new bike parking on Park and Bathurst streets
- existing bus stops close to the station retained on Park and Castlereagh streets
- existing taxi bays close to the station retained on Castlereagh and Pitt streets
- wayfinding signage and metro information to be provided
- enhancement of pedestrian infrastructure around the station to be refined in consultation with Transport for NSW and City of Sydney Council.
Station Design and Precinct Plan
A Station Design and Precinct Plan (SDPP) has been prepared for Pitt Street Station which shows how the new station design has developed and how it will integrate with the surrounding precinct.
Community consultation was carried out in October 2020 and feedback received helped inform the final SDPP that was submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment and approved in October 2021.
The station is located below Pitt and Castlereagh streets, south of the Park Street intersection and north of the Bathurst Street intersection.
Access and entry:
This is via a:
- northern pedestrian plaza opening to Pitt and Park streets
- southern pedestrian plaza opening to Bathurst Street.
Indicative travel time (from 2024)
- 2 minutes to Central Station
- 4 minutes to Barangaroo Station
- 7 minutes to Victoria Cross Station.
The Tunnel and Station Excavation contractor completed tunnelling and excavation work at Pitt Street Station in late 2020. Construction is now underway to build the station and the over station developments.
Work at the station includes:
- detailed excavation at the base of station shafts
- building the station and over station development structures including formwork installation, reinforcement and concrete works
- façade installation for the station and over station developments
- internal fit-out of the station and over station developments
- public domain works including landscaping and footpaths.
Martin Place Station
Surry Hills to Central power upgrade