This NSW Government website is maintained by Sydney Metro (a Transport for NSW project), which operates the website using the name ‘Sydney Metro’. This Privacy Statement applies to all the publicly accessible pages located at this website.
Sydney Metro does not have any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to the sydneymetro.info site.
Information & Privacy Unit
Transport for NSW
PO Box K659
Haymarket NSW 1240
Phone: 02 8202 3862
Users of the sydneymetro.info site are entitled to expect that any information gathered while using the site will be managed in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988 (NSW).
More information about how we manage personal and health information is available on the Transport for NSW Privacy page and in TfNSW’s Privacy Management Plan.
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the sydneymetro.info site our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the device being used, which can sometimes be matched to broad geographic data
- the pages accessed, documents downloaded and transactions completed such as keywords searched for onsite or trip plans and other forms completed
- the date and time of your visit
- the last site and page visited immediately prior to arriving at the sydneymetro.info site, including any search terms used at internet search engines
- the address, hostname and top-level domain, for example .com, .info or .au, of your server
- the type of browser and operating system used on the device
- the bandwidth, that is, your internet connection speed
- the number of screen colours displayed on the device
- the time spent on each page of the sydneymetro.info site.
What are cookies?
'Cookies' are small pieces of text data that a web server can store on, and later retrieve from, a computer. They do not personally identify you, but do identify your browser. Cookies can be either 'persistent' or 'session' based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and may be used to track your browsing behaviour upon return to the issuing website. Session cookies are short-lived, are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you shut down your browser.
The sydneymetro.info site uses first and second party persistent cookies (i.e. issued and retrieved by the sydneymetro.info systems or Google) to collect information about visitor behaviour and general website statistics.
We may also record your preferences in relation to your use of the sydneymetro.info site and other information about your enquiry that allows us to provide a faster and richer interaction when you return to the site in the future.
The cookies on the sydneymetro.info site do not read the information on your hard drive. Sydney Metro makes no attempt to associate cookies with users' names or identities. Our server cannot find out your name or email address from the cookies used on the site.
The sydneymetro.info site uses Google Analytics, a reporting service provided by Google, Inc. ("Google") and its subsidiaries. Google Analytics uses "cookies" to help us analyse how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the site (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the site, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage.
For more details visit Google Analytics Terms of Service.
How we use information collected
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports so Sydney Metro can identify patterns of usage of the sydneymetro.info site. This will assist us in improving the site and the services offered on it.
Transport for NSW will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with PPIPA.
Sydney Metro may collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances, including:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published on the sydneymetro.info site
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the sydneymetro.info site
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the sydneymetro.info site by other websites
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the sydneymetro.info site
- communications that are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed, and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the sydneymetro.info site by other users.
Sydney Metro reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the sydneymetro.info site raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed. In the event of an investigation, Sydney Metro will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may execute a warrant to inspect our logs.
Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Sydney Metro for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
What we do with feedback and form information
Sydney Metro provides feedback and registration forms on the sydneymetro.info site to allow users to comment on the Sydney Metro site and to register their interest to receive information from Sydney Metro and it's contractors.
Personal details are requested to enable follow up for more details, for the purpose of providing a reply to your feedback and for Sydney Metro to provide updates to you, if requested. Providing personal information to us is voluntary. However, if you do not provide contact details we will not have any way of communicating with you. The information you provide will only be used for the purpose for which it was collected.
Sydney Metro may publish aggregated information about feedback on the sydneymetro.info site, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.