Main site features
The Bays Station will deliver rail to the area for the first time, providing critical connections to the Sydney CBD and the western suburbs. The Bays Station will act as a catalyst for the long awaited renewal of the area.
Access and entry
One new station entrance to the south of White Bay, near the proposed future Bays Waterfront Promenade.
The Bays Station will be located between Glebe Island and White Bay Power Station with an entrance to the south of White Bay. It will provide direct access to the future Bays Waterfront Promenade.
The Bays road relocation works
Sydney Metro completed road relocation works at The Bays, ensuring reliability of the road network ahead of future work to transform The Bays.
Rozelle/Iron Cove Power Supply Route
New underground cables from Rozelle substation to the future metro station at The Bays will provide a dedicated power supply to the Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) for Sydney Metro West. Work on the Iron Cove/Rozelle power supply began in mid-July 2021 and is planned to be completed in early 2022.
These works include:
- Non-intrusive survey work
- Establishing traffic controls and construction areas
- Removing concrete and asphalt with road saw
- Excavating trenches and removing excavated material
- Installing conduits to hold the new cables
- Installing concrete pits
- Backfilling and reinstating the excavated area.
Station excavation and tunnelling
In July 2021, Sydney Metro awarded Acciona Construction Australia Pty Ltd and Ferrovial Construction (Australia) Pty Ltd Joint Venture the contract to deliver 11 kilometres of twin metro rail tunnels between Sydney Olympic Park and The Bays.
At The Bays these works include:
- Site establishment and demolition – installing hoarding, demolishing buildings, protecting and/or relocating utilities, transport network modifications, conducting investigations, installing staff facilities and services to the construction site, installing piles and initial excavation
- Excavating the station box – to a depth of 30 metres (approximately 10 storeys)
- Launching two tunnel boring machines from the excavated station box
- Providing tunnelling support – storage of excavated material, ventilation, grout batching and water treatment
- Removing excavated material – via trucks.
Notification - Rozelle Robert Street - Construction Update
PDF | 277.39 KB
Notification - Rozelle Robert St - Construction Update
PDF | 485.55 KB
Notification - The Bays - Ground investigations
PDF | 368.99 KB
Notification - Callan Street - Construction Update
PDF | 344.62 KB
Notification - Darling Street - Construction Update
PDF | 522.65 KB