Second Sydney Metro West tunnelling contract awarded
Sydney Metro has awarded a $2.16 billion contract to deliver the next stage of tunnelling on the mega Sydney Metro West project.
The Gamuda Australia and Laing O’Rourke Consortium has been awarded the Western Tunnelling contract to deliver nine kilometres of twin metro rail tunnels between Sydney Olympic Park and Westmead.
This is the second major tunnelling package awarded on the city-shaping project, with work already underway to deliver twin tunnels between The Bays and Sydney Olympic Park following the contract awarded to Acciona Ferrovial Joint Venture last year.
Major civil works have now started at The Bays, with tunnelling set to begin later this year towards Sydney Olympic Park. Work is well underway to get the site ready for tunnel boring machines and piling rigs have started work to prepare the site for the excavation needed to launch the mega machines.
Sydney Metro West will create more than 10,000 direct new jobs and 70,000 indirect jobs. To build these tunnels a broad range of skills will be required including tunnellers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, concrete workers, truck drivers, labourers and security guards.
The Western Tunnelling contract includes:
- Twin 9km tunnels from Sydney Olympic Park to Westmead;
- A Tunnel Boring Machine launch site at Rosehill, tunnelling toward Sydney Olympic Park and relaunched toward Westmead;
- A services facility and crossover structure at Rosehill for fresh air ventilation and emergency egress;
- Tunnel portal and dive excavation at Clyde Services and Maintenance Facility;
- Earthworks, retaining structures, drainage and utilities corridor for the Clyde Maintenance Facility;
- Two spur tunnels connecting the dive structure to the Main tunnel in at Clyde;
- Excavation and civil works for Parramatta and Westmead Stations; and
- A segment manufacturing facility at Eastern Creek.
Completion of the contract is expected by the end of 2025.
Major contract awarded on Sydney Metro – Western Sydney Airport project
Sydney Metro West - tunnelling update