Florence, the second of our four tunnel boring machines (TBMs), has broken through into Showground Station. In tunnelling to Showground from Bella Vista and via Norwest station, TBM2 Florence has:
- Excavated more than 425,500 tonnes of crushed rock, both sandstone and shale;
- Installed more than 14,832 concrete segments to line the new rail tunnel;
- Been a workplace to more than 60 workers, including tunnellers, maintenance crews, geologists, surveyors and engineers, who combined have spent almost 65,000 hours underground;
- Had 341 hardened steel cutters on her cutter head replaced, worn down from the harsh forces of cutting the Sydney sandstone and shale;
- Had its conveyor belt extended by almost 8.8 kilometres so the crushed rock can be transported back to Bella Vista.
Sydney Metro Northwest is delivering Australia’s longest railway tunnels – twin 15 kilometre tunnels from Bella Vista to Epping.