Three groups have been shortlisted to help revitalise Central Station, including delivering the underground Central Walk concourse and Sydney Metro platforms at the city’s biggest railway station.
The groups that will be invited to tender for the Central Station Main Works contract are:
- Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Pty Ltd;
- CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and John Holland Pty Ltd joint venture; and
- Lendlease Engineering Pty Ltd/Lendlease Building Pty Ltd.
The contract includes construction of Central Walk and the new Sydney Metro platforms under Central and is expected to be awarded in the first quarter of next year as part of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project, which is Stage 2 of Sydney Metro.
Central is the backbone of Sydney’s public transport network, with more than 250,000 people passing through the station every day.
That number’s expected to grow to 450,000 in the next two decades.
Central Walk will better connect customers to trains, buses, light rail and the new Sydney Metro.
Main features of Central Walk include:
- A 19-metre wide tunnel from Chalmers Street, linking to new metro platforms under Central;
- New, easy access points to Sydney Trains platforms 16 to 23;
- Escalators directly to suburban platforms for the first time.
By combining the works of the metro platforms and Central Walk, Transport for NSW can deliver both projects at the same time and minimise the disruption to customers.