Marrickville dive site is being used to launch and support two tunnel boring machines (TBMs) and support the construction of the southern services facility.
About the Marrickville dive site
The Marrickville dive site was established to manufacture pre-cast concrete tunnel lining segments and to support:
- the operation of two tunnel boring machines
- the construction of the southern services facility
- the fit-out of the tunnel rail system.
Work underway includes:
- Excavating and constructing the Marrickville dive structure and tunnel portal
- Launching and supporting two TBMs
- Manufacturing the pre-cast concrete tunnel lining segments
- Supporting the construction of the southern services facility
- Supporting the fit-out of the tunnel rail systems.
Main site features
Building and operating a substation to supply power for the running of metro trains.
Establishing a permanent water treatment plant to capture and treat water collected from the stations.
Constructing a tunnel portal.
Building a fire protection wall along the entire length of the dive structure to provide separation between the two metro tracks.
Building a traction substation.
Constructing traffic lights at the Edinburgh Road / Bedwin Road / Edgeware Road intersection.
Dive structures and tunnel portals
Two dive structures and tunnel portals are being built, one at Chatswood and another at Marrickville. These sites, along with the Barangaroo Station site, form the TBM launch sites and provide support for tunnelling operations including:
- Spoil storage and removal
- Pre–cast concrete ring segments storage
- Work trains (or similar) to transport staff and materials to the cutting face
- Water and power supply
- 24–hour fresh air tunnel ventilation
- Separation plant (Barangaroo only)
- Grout batching plant
- Drainage, water treatment and disposal
- Material storage
- Office facilities, work amenities and parking.
More information about tunnelling at Sydney Metro can be found here.
The site is located north of Sydenham Station and south of Bedwin Road, bordered by Edinburgh Road and Murray Street. The Marrickville tunnel portal is west of the T3 Bankstown Line in Marrickville (to the north of Sydenham Station).
Newsletter - Marrickville dive site - August 2019
PDF | 1.22 MB
Newsletter - Marrickville dive site - April 2019
PDF | 3.13 MB
Monthly update - Marrickville dive site - March 2019
PDF | 743.15 KB
Newsletter - Marrickville dive site - January 2019
PDF | 2.44 MB
Monthly update - Marrickville dive site - February 2019
PDF | 205.22 KB