Marrickville dive site was used to launch and support two tunnel boring machines (TBMs). Work is now underway to prepare the site for construction of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility South.
About the Marrickville dive site
The Marrickville dive site was established to manufacture pre-cast concrete tunnel lining segments and to support the following activities:
- the operation of two tunnel boring machines
- the construction of 30 cross passages between the running tunnels from Marrickville to Barangaroo
- the construction of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility South
- the fit-out of the tunnel rail system.
Work associated with launching and operating two tunnel boring machines has now been completed.
Main site features
- Building and operating a substation to supply power for the running of metro trains
- Establishing a permanent water treatment plant to capture and treat water collected from the stations
- Constructing a tunnel portal
- Building a fire protection wall along the entire length of the dive structure to provide separation between the two metro tracks
- Building a facility that will provide for overnight stabling of Sydney Metro trains and light maintenance activities
- Delivering materials and equipment, including rail steel, track laying machines, power cables and more, to be used for the fit out of the excavated tunnels.
Dive structures and tunnel portals
Two dive structures and tunnel portals were built, one at Chatswood and another at Marrickville. These sites, along with the Barangaroo Station site, formed the TBM launch sites and provided support for tunnelling operations including:
- Spoil storage and removal
- Pre–cast concrete ring segments storage
- Work trains (or similar) to transport staff and materials to the cutting face
- Water and power supply
- 24–hour fresh air tunnel ventilation
- Separation plant (Barangaroo only)
- Grout batching plant
- Drainage, water treatment and disposal
- Material storage
- Office facilities, work amenities and parking.
More information about tunnelling at Sydney Metro can be found here.
The site is located north of Sydenham Station and south of Bedwin Road, bordered by Edinburgh Road and Murray Street. The Marrickville tunnel portal is west of the T3 Bankstown Line in Marrickville (to the north of Sydenham Station).
Monthly update - Marrickville dive site - October 2020
PDF | 452.84 KB
Monthly update - Marrickville dive site - September 2020
PDF | 533.46 KB
Quarterly newsletter – Marrickville dive site – July 2020
PDF | 2.85 MB
Monthly update - Marrickville dive site - July 2020
PDF | 552.83 KB
Construction notification - Marrickville parking changes - June 2020
PDF | 457.57 KB