About the construction site
The Cheltenham Services Facility will be used for fresh air tunnel ventilation and an emergency access facility.
Area: 9,750 square metres (m2 ) . Construction activities include:
- Tunnel systems fit-out
- Testing and commissioning
- Services facility construction.
Main site features
Proposed work at the site includes:
- Excavation of shafts to the two tunnels below
- Removal of about 12,000 cubic metres (m3) of crushed rock (spoil) from the shaft excavation
- Fitting out tunnel systems
- Testing and commissioning.
Access to the Cheltenham Services Facility construction zone will be from:
- Kirkham Street (left in, right out)
- Castle Howard Road (light vehicles only)
Cheltenham community facilities
New sporting and community facilities will be provided at Cheltenham Oval to replace those removed to enable tunnelling works for the Sydney Metro Northwest project.
Sydney Metro contractors Northwest Rapid Transit have worked with Hornsby Council, representatives from Beecroft Cricket Club, Beecroft Football Club and Beecroft Netball Club, and local residents and volunteer bush care representatives to design the new facilities.
Construction of the new facilities commenced in early May and will be progressively available commencing in the first quarter of next year. When complete, the new facilities will be handed back to Hornsby Council and the construction access road off Kirkham Avenue will be removed and the area revegetated.
The features of the new facilities include:
- 3 new multi-purpose courts sized and marked for netball with surface finishes to competitive netball standards
- A half-court multi-purpose practice area
- Floodlighting to all courts to enable evening use
- 2 resurfaced cricket nets and run up area
- A new playground area with equipment to suit 0-9 year and 10-14 year old age groups with soft fall play surface
- A new community building to the north of the Oval and new netball storage and amenities building adjacent to the courts and children’s playground
- Expanded car park area with improved access from Castle Howard Road.
Artist’s impression of an aerial view of the new Cheltenham Community Facilities, subject to detailed design
Artist’s impression of the new community facility building, subject to detailed design
The features of the new community building include:
- Home and away team shower and changing rooms
- Separate referee changing rooms
- Secure storage space for nominated sporting associations
- Public toilet facilities
- Multi-purpose meeting space
- Storage space for Council maintenance equipment.
Artist’s impression of the new playground and sheltered amenities building, subject to detailed design
The netball storage and amenities building includes:
- Netball storage
- Public toilet facilities
- Wet weather shelter providing viewing across the playground, courts and cricket nets.
Construction Notification - Cheltenham Service Facility - Out of hours work
PDF | 305.11 KB
Cheltenham construction newsletter - November 2017
PDF | 3.18 MB
Community notification_Cheltenham construction update
PDF | 320.12 KB
PDF | 2.02 MB
Construction Notification - Cheltenham Services Facility - Track and tunnel works
PDF | 351.86 KB