Central Station is an underground station, about 27 metres below ground level, located within the existing Central Station precinct.
Main station features
The location of the metro platforms at Central will facilitate a critical interchange, fully connecting the station with suburban, intercity and regional rail services, buses, coaches and light rail.
The work includes:
- New underground Sydney Metro platforms at Central beneath platforms 13, 14 and 15
- Escalators directly to suburban platforms 12 to 23 for the first time
- An upgraded northern concourse with transformed pedestrian thoroughfares and feature roof.
Central Walk is a new underground pedestrian concourse at Central Station that will better connect passengers to trains, light rail and the new Sydney Metro underground platforms.
Central Walk includes:
- A 19-metre wide tunnel from Chalmers Street linking to new Sydney Metro platforms under Central
- New, easy access points to Sydney Trains platforms 16 to 23
- Escalators directly to suburban platforms for the first time.
The entry at 20-28 Chalmers Street will provide direct access to Central Station for customers from the Surry Hills catchment area and a direct interchange for passengers from the CBD and South East Light Rail.
Access and entry
Station access and entry is via:
- The existing northern station entry from Eddy Avenue and the main northern concourse
- The existing paid underground pedestrian connections within Central Station
- Central Walk.
The new station will be located within the existing Central Station precinct below intercity rail service platforms 13 and 14. The former platform 15, which was used as a maintenance platform, will not be reinstated.
Indicative travel time (from 2024):
4 minutes to Sydney Metro Martin Place Station
9 minutes to Victoria Cross Station
15 minutes to Chatswood Station.
Construction of the new metro platforms at Central Station is taking place in the area around and under the former platforms 13, 14 and 15 and between the suburban and country lines to the south. This site incorporates the footprint of the future underground metro platforms.
Construction activities include:
- Construction of temporary stairs to the Olympic tunnel from Platforms 20/21 and 22/23 (complete)
- Removal of platforms 13, 14 and 15 and excavation for the metro box
- Adjusting rail systems around platforms, the paid pedestrian connections and Devonshire Street tunnel.
Pedestrian site access during construction is via Platform 12 at Central Station. Authorised construction vehicle access is via Sydney Yard Access Bridge from Regent Street.
Construction started in August 2018.
Newsletter - Central Station - July to September 2020
PDF | 888.48 KB
Monthly Update - Central Station - July 2020
PDF | 782.51 KB
Monthly Update - Central Station - June 2020
PDF | 635.39 KB
Notification - Central Station - Surry Hills Update April 2020
PDF | 394.11 KB
Monthly Update - Central Station - May 2020
PDF | 449.95 KB