Sydney Metro City & Southwest project planning and approval table
Stage 1: early consultation
- Early Project consultation undertaken prior to the commencement of the formal approval process.
- Project refined on the basis of the early Project consultation.
- Initial scoping of EIS investigations undertaken on the basis of early
- Project consultation.
Stage 2: Environmental impact statement
- Transport for NSW prepares and submits a State significant infrastructure application to the Secretary of the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DP&E), which includes a supporting document outlining the Project and its likely impacts.
- Planning focus meeting with key government stakeholders and community consultation.
- DP&E issues Secretary’s environment assessment requirements (SEARs) for the EIS with focus on key issues.
Stage 3: exhibition consultation and review
- DP&E exhibits the EIS for a minimum of 30 days and invites public submissions.
- Secretary may require proponent to respond to submissions and submit a preferred infrastructure report outlining proposed changes to minimise environmental impacts or address any other issues raised during assessment of the application.
Stage 4: Assessment and detirmination
- Assessment by DP&E, draft Secretary’s environmental assessment report prepared with recommended conditions or refusal. Agencies and councils consulted by DP&E.
- Secretary’s environmental assessment report finalised with recommendations and submitted to Minister for Planning.